New Yamaha NIKEN: Ride the Revolution
Yamaha unveil the first ever 3-wheel leaning motorcycle
Yamaha is a company that thrives on creativity. Since Yamaha Motor was founded in July 1955, the Iwata-based company has been responsible for developing and introducing some of the most ground breaking and influential motorcycles and scooters that have gone on to change the landscape of the powered two-wheel market.
Innovation is the very lifeblood of the motorcycle business, and Yamaha is always looking to the future in the quest to develop original and exciting new technology and radical new concepts. The launch of the first ever 3-wheel leaning motorcycle demonstrates the company's commitment to innovation, and is another example of how Yamaha 'Revs Your Heart' with its exciting and diverse range of models.
The world's first multi wheel production motorcycle
At the Tokyo Motor Show in October 2015, Yamaha displayed the MWT-9 prototype, a 3-wheel concept motorcycle that gave a tantalising glimpse of the future. Now, just two years later, Yamaha reveal the all-new NIKEN, the world's first multi wheel production motorcycle that is ready to open up new possibilities for those forward thinking riders looking for a whole new experience.
Meaning 'Two Swords' in Japanese, the word NIKEN originates from 17th century Japan when the two-sword style of swordsmanship was first invented. It proved to be a revolution, and marked the beginning of a new era in combat.
NIKEN: Sports bike performance with unique corner carving confidence
With the NIKEN, Yamaha opens up the possibility of a whole new era in motorcycling, a riding revolution - offering a sensation that is unique. Imagine the ability to carve through winding roads with unmatched confidence...a new feeling that could be compared to the thrilling experience when carving turns with skis.
This revolutionary new kind of motorcycle feels, handles and looks like nothing else. At the same time as being different to a motorcycle, the NIKEN's handling characteristics are also reassuringly familiar to riders.
The advanced Yamaha-exclusive technology used in the double leaning front wheel layout offers high levels of traction - making it a strong performer in corners and giving the NIKEN rider the ability to carve through winding roads with unmatched confidence. And two front wheels means there are two front tyres and two sets of front brakes, so the levels of traction and braking are also like nothing else on the road!
YAMAHA NIKEN: Ride the Revolution
The NIKEN's unique leaning multi wheel (LMW) system offers very sporty and confident handling characteristics, together with enhanced feelings of stability and grip when cornering in a wide range of surface conditions.
Yamaha's engineers have gone to great lengths to ensure that the character of the NIKEN is similar to that of a conventional motorcycle, and the majority of riders will be able to transition seamlessly from a two wheeler to the Yamaha LMW system without having to alter their riding style. But as soon as they enter a corner, NIKEN riders will feel growing levels of confidence and enjoyment - offering more fun with less stress.
The NIKEN's sporty handling performance is designed to complement its high overall specification and enable riders to realise the optimal potential of the torque-rich, 847cc, 3-cylinder engine.
NIKEN: Creating a whole new riding experience
The NIKEN offers much more than high performance. Its premium specification and futuristic design open up a whole new dimension in terms of riding control, and enhance the fun and enjoyment experienced on every journey.
And the reassuring feelings of stability and controllability inspired by its double front wheel layout are sure to attract many experienced riders who are looking for a new kind of vehicle.
The NIKEN represents one of the most significant developments in the motorcycling world for many years. The ultimate corner carver has arrived. And a new icon will appear on European roads during 2018.
Yamaha NIKEN Key Features
- Totally new concept in the motorcycle industry
- Unique corner carving abilities
- Special feeling of front end grip, confidence and braking
- Radical design
- Advanced leaning multi-wheel technology
- Deep lean angle, maximum 45 degrees
- Ackerman steering with double upside down front forks
- Hybrid steel and aluminium frame with cast aluminium swingarm
- Approximately 50:50 front-rear weight distribution with rider
- 847cc, 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC CP3 engine
- Special fuel injection settings and optimised crank balance
- LED headlight and taillight
- YZF-R1 derived mirrors with integrated LED turn signals
- Dual 15-inch front wheels with 410mm track; 17-inch rear wheel
- D-MODE with 3 engine running modes
- Cruise Control - operates above 50 km/h
- Traction Control System with 2 modes, and off mode
- A&S clutch for increased stability when downshifting
- Quick Shift System for smoother upshifts
- Compact instrument panel with LCD display
- Aluminium 18-litre fuel tank
- Fully adjustable rear suspension
- Dual 298mm front disc brakes and 282mm rear disc brake
- 12V DC power outlet